We are supporting a London Borough Council who are in need of a senior and strategic interim to lead their development and operation of the boroughs strategic priorities to improve residents skills, help them to access quality employment, support business growth, town centre improvement and diversification.
To act as the Councils principal advisor on employment, skills and enterprise, lead policy and strategy development, and to assist the Council to influence, and respond, to public policy and new Government or regional initiatives.
To lead the development and operation of the Employment, Skills and Enterprise Service to achieve the boroughs strategic priorities to improve residents skills, help them to access quality employment, support business growth, town centre improvements and diversification.
To provide effective leadership to the Employment, Skills and Enterprise, including developing the forward strategy for the service, translating strategy into measurable operational plans and promoting continuous improvement.
To lead the development and delivery of the employment, skills and enterprise agenda within the Council and with partner organisations. This requires proactive adjustment to changing national, regional and local policy and economic context.
To lead external partnerships with the business community, employment and skills partners, the voluntary and community sector, as well as key policy and funding bodies including the West London Alliance, Greater London Authority, and Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
To lead the development of internal council relationships to ensure outcomes are holistic, including work with children, young people and families, housing, health and social services, culture and libraries, regeneration, planning, and environmental services. This is critical to deliver a one-council approach to employment, skills, enterprise and town centre investment outcomes.
To motivate and inspire staff to deliver excellent outcomes, to raise educational and skills standards across the borough, help Brent residents to access and sustain quality employment, support business growth, and town centre improvements.
To provide an excellent adult and community learning service that is focussed on the highest standards, employment outcomes and the health and wellbeing of residents.
1. Lead the development and implementation of the councils strategic approach and priorities for employment, skills and enterprise in alignment with the Borough Plan, Inclusive Growth Strategy, and Local Plan, employer and industry growth sector requirements and local community needs.
2. To assist the council to influence, and respond, to public policy and new Government or regional initiatives. To shape, anticipate, guide and implement changes in response to the Government, regional, and sub-regional agenda.
3. Lead the development and advancement of the employment, skills and enterprise agenda across the Council and with external partners and act as the councils principal advisor on employment, skills, enterprise and town centre investment.
4. Lead the development and implementation of new operational and delivery arrangements, reflecting leading and best practice.
5. Plan, co-ordinate and deliver projects that contribute to the achievement of the objectives of the councils Borough Plan, Local Plan and Inclusive Growth Strategy.
6. Ensure that the service responds effectively to changes in the funding framework and/or demographic, social and economic trends and is seen as a responsive, innovative provider.
7. Lead and direct the services management team to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, supported by systematic performance review and outcome targets.
8. Identify, assess and manage risks in all aspects of the operation, including new delivery models and commercial ventures.
9. Work collegiately with colleagues in the Regeneration & Environment Department Management Team (DMT), and make a proactive contribution to delivering departmental and corporate objectives.
10. Work closely with the Operational Director to support effective working relationships with relevant portfolio holders/Members.Apply now