Our client, a long established electronics manufacturing business, seek to appoint an Engineering Director to manage the design and development activity of their team of mechanical, electrical, electronic and software biased design engineers. The appointed Engineering Director will have at least 15 years’ experience in design engineering coupled with at least 5 years’ experience in a senior / principle design engineer role taking the lead on the design of complex designs and a recent history of people and project management. This is still a hands on design role where you’ll be involved in solving complex problems alongside your team but involves a large amount of people and project management, and frequent customer involvement.
You will need to be a well educated, highly technical and analytical engineer with a background in design engineering to be able to assist your team with the technical workload. Some of the problems they face in their original R&D are very challenging, and when they hit a roadblock you’ll be hands-on in solving those engineering problems alongside the team. You also need good people management skills to manage a large and diverse multi-disciplined engineering team. They have a particularly varied team with different ability levels, nationalities and noticeably different personalities. They also have some difficult to manage characters within their senior engineers. It is important you have a broad base within electronic engineering as their product range is wide and complex and you’ll be managing electrical, electronic, software and mechanical engineers as well as the test, development and technician function.
Engineering Director – Role and Responsibilities – Principle Design Engineer / Design Manager / Electronics / Engineering Manager
– Oversee the design of new products and plan the engineering resource required for new projects as required by the business
– Direct engineering resource to produce new designs for a varied customer base
– Liaise with sales/quality/production/operations and with key customers as part of the senior leadership team to ensure the timely and cost effective completion of design and development projects
– Handle multiple design projects to meet company deadlines. Prioritise engineering resource
– Commercial acumen facilitating involvement in bids and tenders. A key role in setting strategy for the company
Engineering Director – Skills and Abilities – Principle Design Engineer / Design Manager / Electronics / Engineering Manager
– Degree in Design / Engineering or equivalent (as a minimum)
– Minimum of 10 years’ industrial experience in a design engineering role
– Highly technical engineer with an innovative approach to design
– Good working knowledge of electronics
– Experience of feasibility studies, advising commercial teams and adding technical expertise to sales function
Engineering Director, Design Engineer, Design Manager, Electronics, Engineering ManagerApply now